Operating System: Windows 98 (Note: might work with other versions of this os.)
GSA-4163B Firmware Software
The file is a self-extracting ZIP file. After downloading, double-click the file to expand it. Then run the executable file it extracts after reading the instructions.
Never update the firmware if the problem you're having is the drive isn't seen by windows, won't write with the included software, or other interface related problems, unless the firmware specifically states it fixes the problem you are having. Firmware updates normally don't address these types of problems. Trying to update the firmware when there are interface problems can damage the drive's firmware. An error when updating the firmware is usually caused by a problem with the drive interface or there is more than one drive connected to that IDE channel.
A101 - Improves DVD recording quality.
A102 - Addition of DVD�R 8X codes.
==> DVD+R 8X: Beall, Daxon, Intermedia, Infodisc, MBI, MJC, NANYA, OPTODISC, SKC
==> DVD-R 8X: Vangurad, RITEK, OPTODISC, MUST, AMC, Infodisc, DAXON
- Improvement of DVD�RW rewriting ability.
- Improvement of DVD+R DL writing quality.
A103 - Fix writing fail on some DVD-R 8X, 16X & DVD-RAM
A104 - Improvement of recording quality and readability of DVD media.
A105 (||THE VERSION OFFERED HERE ON DRIVERGUIDE||) - Addition of new DVD codes
- DVD-R: Optodisc(OPTODISCR016), Prodisc(ProdiscF02), Ritek(RITEKM16)
- DVD+R: UME Disc(AML 002 0), DAXON(DAXON AZ3 0)
This firmware upgrade is for LG Branded drives. This upgrade is NOT designed for drives manufactured for HP, IBM, Compaq, Dell or any other OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) customers, please contact the OEM for all firmware updates and support for your OEM drive.
This firmware software only works in windows mode with Windows 98/ME/2000/XP. If you encounter problems in flashing the firmware or have
any questions, please contact our LG customer support line toll-free at 1-800-243-0000.
1. If you haven't already, download the firmware file and extract the zip file.
2. Connect the drive to the secondary IDE channel as a master drive with no other devices connected to that channel. Also disconnect any other optical drives connected to the computer. Start Windows and verify it can recognize the drive.
3. Close all other programs including: screen saver, antivirus and/or power-down
programs. Do not open any programs or start any system functions during the update
as they can interfere with data transfer and damage the drive.
4. Open the firmware program.
5. Click the update button and do not touch or interfere with the drive
while the firmware is being upgraded. IMPORTANT - DO NOT INTERFERE WITH THE
DRIVE DURING THIS PROCESS. If an error occurs during the upgrade process, or
the upgrade process is cancelled during this process, damage to the drive
6. When the upgrade is complete the screen should say FIRMWARE UPDATE
SUCCESSFUL. Re-boot your PC.
If you experience any problems or have any questions, please contact LG customer support at 1-800-243-0000.